Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder so it is essential to take care of your eyes to see the beauty around you. The eyes are an important sensory organ. It is through our eyes that we see and experience things. The eyes perform many functions. Without eyes, we can’t think of doing our daily things. The first thing we do during waking up is to open our eyes to start our day. Every day, we chit-chat on mobile, watch television and movies, surf the internet, scroll social media sites, play games and most importantly gaze at laptop screens for hours for official work. After doing all these things, we feel a sense of relaxation when we close our eyes for a minute. Our eye muscles get too stressed working all day long so our eyes feel relaxed when we close them. All these things affect our eyes but the reality is that we cannot avoid the work. Also, no one likes to wear spectacles when their eyesight gets weak. But one thing we can do for sure is to take care of our eyes along with working. The good news is that we can improve our vision without any operation or laser treatment just by following certain positive steps. Simultaneously, both work and good eyesight can go together. Increasing screen time is the demand of an hour so we cannot ignore it but we can do some daily exercises so that the muscles don’t get weak and if muscles don’t get weak, then there is no need for spectacles. Even if you have weak eyesight or have to wear spectacles, then also you can try these actions to remove it.
1. First thing in the morning, splash your eyes with normal water. If you want to take one step forward, then, fill your mouth with water and then splash water on your open eyes. This process will activate your eyes muscles.
2. We are occupied with loads of work that we hardly get any time for exercising. So between the work, take a break and blink your eyes rapidly for a minute. You can also try to gaze continuously at certain things from a certain distance for a certain minute. For example- for 5 minutes, gaze at any one object which is 5 feet away from you. You can set the distance and time according to your convenience.
3. Protect your eyes from the sun. UV rays from the sun can cause damage to the eyes and increase the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Wearing sunglasses that provide 100% protection from UV rays and a hat can also help to protect your eyes. Red eyes, itchy eyes are caused by sun rays. Never look at the sun with the naked eye. Use shades of blue cut lenses and you can also use chromatic spectacles while driving or going out in the sun. The colour of this lens automatically gets changed in the sun.
4. Take frequent breaks from digital devices. Staring at a computer or phone screen for extended periods can cause eye strain and fatigue. Taking short breaks every 20 minutes to look away from the screen can help reduce eye strain. Look away from the screen and close your eyes softly. Rub your hands and put them on your eyes gently. This is a magical trick that instantly gives relief to your eyes. This should be done every night before sleeping.
5. While reading and chatting on mobile phones, tablets etc, turn on the reading mode or yellow light mode. It will change the screen colour which will reduce the amount of strain on your eyes.
6. Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Eating a diet rich in green leafy vegetables, fruits, and fatty fish such as salmon can provide important nutrients that promote eye health. Take a diet rich in Vitamin A, K and E and eat seeds rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Eat 5 to 7 almonds every day and eat a boiled egg if possible. In winter, consume carrot juice. Carrots and beetroot do wonders for your eyes.
DIY HACK: Take an equal amount of fennel seeds, thread sugar, almond and a pinch of black pepper. Grind them roughly. You will get a coarse mixture, store it in a container. Every night take one teaspoon of this mixture with warm milk before half an hour to bed. Try this remedy for 2 to 3 months and the difference will be visible to you.
7. Quit smoking.Smoking is linked to an increased risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
8. Maintain a healthy weight:Being overweight or obese increases the risk of developing diabetes, which can cause diabetic retinopathy, a disease that damages the blood vessels in the retina. Maintaining a healthy weight can help reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
9. Get regular eye exams. Regular eye exams can help detect eye problems early and prevent vision loss. Adults should have an eye exam every two years, and those with a history of eye problems should have more frequent exams. Children should have their eyes examined regularly by a paediatrician or eye doctor.
Here are some yoga exercises specifically designed to help strengthen and relax the eyes:
Rub both palms together for 1 to 2 minutes Then, gently place your warm palms over your closed eyes, allowing the warmth to penetrate. Breathe deeply and imagine a soothing colour or image while keeping your eyes covered for a few minutes.
Sit or stand comfortably with your spine straight. Slowly rotate your eyes in a clockwise direction, making a full circular motion. Then, repeat the rotation in a counterclockwise direction. Perform 5-10 rotations in each direction, and remember to blink your eyes between rotations.
Sit in a comfortable position and extend your arm in front of you, placing your thumb in an upward position. Focus your gaze on your thumb while breathing deeply. Then, shift your focus to an object located at least 10 feet away from you, keeping your gaze steady for a few seconds. Repeat this back-and-forth focus-shifting exercise 5-10 times.
Near and Far Viewing:
Sit comfortably and hold your thumb about 10 inches away from your face at eye level. Focus your eyes on your thumb, then shift your gaze to a distant object located about 10-20 feet away. Alternate your focus between the near and far objects for 5-10 repetitions, taking deep breaths throughout.
If you have any existing eye conditions or discomfort, it is recommended to consult with an eye care professional before attempting these exercises. By following these tips, you can help keep your eyes healthy and maintain good vision. If you experience any vision problems or have concerns about your eye health, it is essential to consult an eye doctor for advice.