The Importance of UV Protection in Sunglasses: Shielding Your Eyes from Harmful Rays
As we proceed in a world that has become highly competitive and requires us to step out in the world as part of our daily routine, we also need to pay attention to our health and well-being. The most important factor that needs to be considered while stepping out in sunlight is that of shielding our eyes from harmful rays. The harmful ultraviolet rays are instrumental in doing significant damage to the eyes and affecting the overall vision of an individual. But as they say that every problem has an instant remedy, similarly UV protection sunglasses are the perfect solution to prevent any potential damage to the eyes caused by coming into contact of harmful sun rays.
UV protection in sunglasses has become increasingly important these days since the intensity of the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun is increasing. As we witness extreme climate change and environmental degradation, it has become important to prevent our eyes from getting exposed to the harmful ultraviolet rays. In order to make this idea of prevention easier, sunglasses brands have come up with specially designed eyeglasses that include an extra layer of protection from sunlight radiation. This additional layer prevents the sun rays to touch the eyes and cause any damage and are therefore ideal to beat the summer heat as well as get protection from sunlight rays.
It is important to protect the eyes from ultraviolet radiation so that individuals do not become victims of cataract or vision impairment caused by sunlight. These problems if encountered, are difficult to treat and might cause permanent problems in vision and ability to make proper judgements while on the road or in an external environment. The sun is typically observed to emit harmful rays such as UVA and UVB. Both these rays can cause significant damage to the eyes by causing health conditions such as cataract, lesions in the eyes as well as problems in the DNA. Both these rays are emitted constantly throughout the day in any season and can even resist clouds, making it evident to wear sunglasses with UV protection regularly when stepping out.
Understanding UV Rays
UV Rays or ultraviolet rays are primarily of two kinds. The two kinds of ultraviolet rays namely are UVA and UVB. Ultraviolet (UV) rays are primarily referred to as ionized radiation emitted from the sun. This property helps them to easily remove an electron from an atom or a molecule and causing damage to the eyes in the form of conditions such as cataract and can also enter the DNA and cause skin cancer owing to cellular damage. The sun is responsible to emit two different kinds of ultraviolet rays that are UVA and UVB rays.
The main difference between both of these rays is that UVA rays are emitted 95% of the times and are responsible to penetrate within the skin deeply and cause skin cells to age prematurely and making the skin vulnerable to various infections and medical conditions. On the other hand, UVB rays enter the ground surface 5% of the times but their greater energy levels than the UVA rays help them enter the outermost layers of the skin and cause sunburn and tans. It is important to understand that UV rays cause severe damage to the eyes by causing retinal and corneal damage. The UV rays can enter the cornea and lead to a condition called as photokeratitis, which refers to a condition where there is painful inflammation and the epithelium, stroma and endothelium are damaged and may lead to clouding or blurred vision. Similarly, the UV rays are also observed to damage the retina by causing permanent vision impairment or farsightedness. There is an also increased risk of cataract and other eye conditions owing to contact or exposure to harmful UV rays.
Role of Sunglasses
Upon observing the severe medical conditions associated with exposure to the harmful ultraviolet radiation, it has become all the more important to wear sunglasses with UV protection on a regular basis. Sunglasses are not primarily meant for fashion or style, but there is an important function that they serve. This function is that of protecting the eyes from the harmful ultraviolet radiation of the sun.
Sunglasses can act as a shield against the UV rays of the sun by absorbing them and preventing them the enter the surface of the eyes. Naked eyes are vulnerable to multiple conditions such as cataract, retinal damage, macular degeneration, farsightedness, vision loss and clouding among many others. Owing to such conditions and their severity and irreversible nature in most cases, it is important to buy the best UV protection sunglasses from a trusted brand or manufacturer.
The introduction of UV production levels in sunglasses has led to the advancement of the optical technology in sunglasses. These layers are meant to absorb all UV rays that come into contact with their surfaces and prevent them from entering or penetrating in the inner layers of the eyes. These UV protection layers are observed to absorb about 99% to 100% of the sunlight radiation that enters the surface of the sunglasses. These sunglasses are also responsible to absorb the extreme wavelength of the UV rays up to a wavelength of 400 nm.
Benefits of UV Protective Sunglasses
There are numerous benefits of using UV protective sunglasses on a daily basis and including them in daily routines. Let us analyze some key benefits associated with their usage as follows.
- By using UV protective sunglasses on a regular basis, the risk of eye damage is significantly reduced and the overall health of the eyes is maintained. It is always recommended to use these sunglasses even during a rainy season or during overclouding since both UVA and UVB rays are resistant to clouds and rain and can cause damage to the eyes by entering the cornea and retina.
- Macular degeneration or blurred vision as well as cataract can be prevented by wearing UV protective sunglasses on each occasion of stepping out of the house.
- UV protective sunglasses easily provide enhanced comfort and greater visibility during increased sunlight and heat waves in the external environment.
Factors to Consider when Buying Sunglasses
There are several important factors and core features that need to be considered when buying sunglasses that have UV protection layers embedded on their surface. These factors include the following:
- The UV protective sunglasses must include UV rating such as 300 nm, 400 nm and so on and also provide an accurate protection level against sunlight radiation. The ideal UV rating for good sunglasses is around 400 nm and such sunglasses have an incredible protection level amounting to 99% and 100%.
- The lens material of the sunglasses must be fragile and soft to handle them easily. Since these sunglasses are used on a regular basis and worn at times for 5-6 hours in the open, they also need to be manufactured using premium quality materials such as stainless steel, thick and toughened glass, titanium and silicone. In other words, they should be durable and should last for at least 2-3 years.
- The frame style and fit of UV protective sunglasses are quite important for providing a good physical appearance on special occasions. The styling should be trendy, quirky and make a good standing impression in public places. In addition, they should easily fit without causing much strain or heaviness while wearing them.
- It is also important to purchase sunglasses with UV protection from reputed brands in order to avoid experiencing any kind of issue with fit, comfort, sun protection and overall effectiveness. Reputed brands do not compromise on quality and effectiveness and thus they are ideal for purchasing UV protective sunglasses.
Popular Misconceptions about UV Protection
Several misconceptions prevail about UV protection and these need to be clarified before purchasing UV rays protection sunglasses. These myths regarding UV protection in sunglasses are as follows:
- The belief that darker lenses provide better protection is highly absurd. Regardless of the darkness of the lenses used in sunglasses, the amount of UV protection they provide is generally the same. The absorption property depends largely on the UV rating and protection level of the lens and not on their darkness.
- It is also important to observe that the belief that only expensive sunglasses offer adequate UV protection. Price does not matter when it comes to UV protection, the only factor to consider in this regard is the name of the brand, since different brands use different materials and protection layers for their sunglasses. Even less expensive sunglasses can provide equal protection from UV rays, if they have been manufactured with care and caution.
Caring for UV-Protective Sunglasses
As much as the brand, quality and effectiveness of the UV protective sunglasses is important, it is also important to take appropriate care of them in order to maintain their functions. Here are some tips that help in caring for UV protective sunglasses.
- It is important to use proper cleaning methods that involve sterilizing the sunglasses with a good quality cleaning solution and using cotton wipes to clean their surface. Performing these activities on a regular basis helps in maintaining their overall effectiveness and also to avoid attracting impurities or germs in the eyes while wearing them. It is also important to wear them with clean and washed hands to avoid transferring potential germs to the lens surface.
- It is also important to store sunglasses in a cool and dark place when not using them. In order to keep their surfaces clean and free from germs and impurities, it is important to store them in a good case or cover.
UV protection in sunglasses is important since it helps in avoiding potential conditions of cataract, macular degeneration or blurred vision, farsightedness as well as vision impairment by acting as a shield for the eyes. In order to maintain the good condition of eyes, it is important to choose sunglasses that have a good UV rating of around 400 nm, can absorb up to 99% of the UV rays, in order to maintain eye health and avoid making it vulnerable to potential infections and severe medical conditions. It is therefore important to take eye health seriously by prioritizing it as matter of purchasing the best UV protection sunglasses and safeguarding the eyes from harmful sunlight radiation. Apart from using good UV protective sunglasses, it is also important to develop a habit of regularly visiting the optometrist or ophthalmologist for addressing UV-related issues in the eyes. Therefore, if you wish to continue experiencing the beauty around you without any external aid, then get a pair of effective UV protective sunglasses today!